CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, September 13, 2019

Black Expat Life









Well I’ve lived in Amsterdam for a little over two years now and it’s been an interesting experience.
The Dutch speak English and are very good at helping you out. I do love that once they find out you’re an Expatriate (“Expat”) they start with the  “Questions” like Mos Def’s song.
Here’s a sample list of questions:

What brought you here work?
Do you have a wife or partner?
Does your partner/wife work?
Kids?
Do you speak Dutch?
How often will you go back to states?
How long are you staying?

I’m also asked if I’m Latino, Surinamese , Moroccan or Turkish. Also where are my parents from and why did they move to the states.

Yes there is racial profiling and yes you get the mean mug when you say I live here while pronouncing your neighborhood correctly.

I haven’t had any racial incidents like I’ve had in States but you can feel the uneasiness in some places.


Overall a very positive experience moving abroad for The Most Interesting Nerd From South Shore.



0 comments: